Wednesday, January 11, 2012

eating

I've mentioned this before but I didn't really expand on it. We are REALLY struggling to get GV to eat. Anything. It's not like we can't get him to eat his vegetables, it's that we can't get him to eat. At 6 months GV was in the 90th percentile for weight. At his 9 month he was 75%, 1 year was somewhere around 50%, 15 month was 20% and this past appt he was 17%. To put it another way at 6 months he weighed 19lbs and today he weighs 23lbs. He's still getting taller and is still in the 90th percentile for height so it's just weight. We have to go back to the doctor next month for a weight check.

GV is smart, he's active and he's social. We filled out a development survey for his age at his 18 month appt and the only two places he scored low were talking and stacking toys. But I'm not worried because he scored near perfect in fine motor, problem solving and gross motor.
He just doesn't eat.
And I've tried those high calorie foods but he's not fan of peanut butter and he won't eat meat so most things he eats are only about 35-60 calories per serving. I've googled recipes and I throw out so much food because he won't even try them.
I looked up on the internets how much he should be eating. One site said toddlers should eat around 40 calories per inch of height. GV is 33.75" tall so thats 1350 calories. Per day. Then you add in the fact that we're also trying to get him to gain weight so he should be eating over 1350. I've been tracking what he's been eating for the past week and if I can get him to eat more than 1000 calories, that's a good day. And usually I only hit that number because he's drank a pediasu.re before bed. 
I don't know what to do and what's more is that I think Kevin blames me for his poor eating habits. And part of me blames me too. I'm lucky enough to be at home with him and I can't even do this mom duty. I'm constantly offering him snacks and so when meals come around he'll eat some of his food but not all.
I guess I'll just keep trying, keep keeping track of everything he eats. Who knows maybe I'll start keeping track of my calories and I can lose some weight. Seriously.

1 comments:

Jessica White said...

First off...do NOT blame yourself (and as for K blaming you, that's another thing): It is not your fault if he doesn't eat. It's no one's fault. You can't force feed a kid (believe me...I've been trying with the babies...it doesn't work).

I think you're on the right track with asking your doctor. Perhaps there is a reason why he doesn't want to eat. Some kids just don't eat, and if that's the case, they'll eat when they're hungry. My mom had a friend whose son refused to eat anything. He's now 18 and the picture of health, but it was really stressful on his mom when he was growing up.

Kids and food are never easy.