Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Day Between

So I've been holding onto this post for the past week.  There are so many things that I want to write about but between all the stuff happening, my innate laziness and all our visitors this post is taking forever to finish.  So I will hit publish at the end of this moment of silence and we'll see what happens.

  • First, GV is a fantastic baby.  According to sources he looks exactly like me.  He has Kevin's ears though. Pointy Spock ears.  He also has Kevin's wrinkled forehead.  But he has my eyes and nose.
  • The gdiapers are going okay.  We used the tiny gpants once we got home from the hospital but then switched to disposables on the way down to Florida and while in Florida. Then it was just easier to stay on them (myMom bought a huge box that we still haven't gone through yet) but finally decided to save them for trips out and about since it's easier.  Now we're using size small little gpants. A couple of leaks and but at least we haven't had poo leaks like we've had with the the 'sposies.
  • Breastfeeding is going great. I have a post coming about it.
  • We had our first ped appt the day after we came home from the hospital and GV was doing great.  He has a blocked tear duct on his right eye.  He weighed in at 8lbs 6 oz.  She thought it was the lowest he'd get. She also wants us to time feedings during the day to about 2-2.5 hours apart and feedings at night to 4 hours apart.  We often had to wake him up for his day feedings and magically we had to wake him up a couple of times for his night feedings.
  • Our second ped appt was at 6 days (Monday).  She wanted us to come in on Tuesday but because we were going down to Florida we had to do Monday.  GV was up to 8lbs 10oz. His birth weight! Also we got prescribed something for his eye. Putting that in was painful, not for GV, for us.
  • The trip down to Florida (Monday-Tuesday) went well.  Originally Wiki was going to fly back down to Florida on the Saturday but she didn't so that she could drive down with us.  We had to stop every two and a half hours to feed GV but he did well. We stopped in SC overnight and Kevin had a job interview that morning. It went well (we think) but we're not sure what's going to come of it. Right now there's not actually a position, but they're interested in Kevin. We got to Florida around 1am.  After a quick feeding GV got to spend some time with his grandparents.
  • I had my first tear filled meltdown when we started the drive down to Florida. Everytime we got into the car I was really freaked out about how GV's chin would rest on his chest. I thought for sure he would stop breathing and worse I would be sitting right next to him and not know till it was too late.  I tried explaining my concern to Kevin and Wiki but the weren't as concerned as I was and so I burst into tears before we even got out of RVA. But I texted Chicken and she had the same fears I did so she told me to use receiving blankets to prop up his head.  I could breathe after doing that.
  • I seriously thought there was going to be a throw down between myDad, myMom & Wiki over who would hold GV first after feedings.
Okay fretting. More later.


Amanda said...

Sorry I haven't had a chance to comment lately. Sounds like things are going great! I'd really stick to your drs advice to wake him and feed him. The more he nurses now, the better your body will be able to respond to his growing demand later.

I had the same fears about car seat. M was born with a really strong neck, but I would sit in the back seat and watch him breath anytime he was sleeping in the car (he normally cried everywhere we went so it wasn't a huge problem). But the first nights in the hospital with him sleeping next to me, I never slept because I would keep putting a finger under his chin to make sure it wasn't tucked into his neck too much. The worry comes very naturally.

I hope Kevin gets some good news about his interview.

How are the furry children handling things?