Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Going off the reservation

Yesterday at 4:45 pm I still hadn't gotten a call from my RE or Nurse K.  So I looked up the other REs in my plan, found one at random and gave them a call.  Ms. J (don't know if she's the nurse yet or not) answered and was wonderful! Caring and funny all over the phone.  At first I tried to play off my call as my OB/GYN wanted me to start seeing an RE but because of all the questions she asked, I ended up telling her about my current RE/situation. So good news is that I have a new RE, Dr. G, and bad news is that Dr. G doesn't have a new patient appt open till February 2009! Ack! Ms. J told me that it would take about 2 hours and that Kevin should come. This is sooooo completely different to how my first appt with Dr. T was.  That appt lasted about 30 minutes with the U/S that he did!  

So my problem is what to do till February.  I'm on CD34 with no PMS symptoms.  Not that I've usually ever had PMS symptoms before in the past.  I've got an Rx of Provera and Clomid (100mg) at the pharmacy, I'm considering getting them both filled so that I can start the next round.  If I start Provera tomorrow, based on past uses/cycles, I could be able to fit 1.5 more cycles in before my appt and plus I would only have to wait a couple of weeks to start new treatment with Dr. G.  My only concern is that I only have 100mg of Clomid and I would want to go up to 150mg.  So maybe if I call my OB/GYN I can get them to write me an Rx.  Hmmm.

I know that I'm not a doctor and that doing this stuff without a doctor guiding you can be dangerous, but the only reason why I'm considering this is because my OB/GYN did originally tell me that she wanted me to do 6 cycles of Clomid (possibly going up to 150mg) and then referred me to an RE after two failed cycles (at 50mg and 100mg).

I'm also considering calling my OB/GYN and telling them that I couldn't get an appt with my RE till February (which is kinda true) and so could they help me till then.

I don't know.  I'm just blogging through my options here.

Also, after lunch today I called and left a message for Nurse K and said that I was very disappointed with their lack of response to me and my case.  I said that it had been over 48 hours since my first call and 24 hours since they said they were going to call me back and that I was still in the dark about what to do next.  I said that if they were unwilling or unable to help me that they needed to tell me so that I could find someone who was.  Let's see if they call back.


Andrea said...

Good for you for switching REs! I think I would lean towards calling the OB and telling them you can't get an appointment until Feb. Then they can guide you until then! I can't imagine how frustrating this long cycle is for you! I hope you get some answers in the next couple of days so you don't have to keep waiting unnecessarily.

Becky said...

I totally feel your pain. I can not stand it when i dont' get a call back. Don't tell me you'll call me with in X amount of hours if you can't do it!
Did you ask the new RE's office to let you know if they had a cancelation, so that maybe you could get in before Feb??

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

I hope your new RE is more helpful and responsive. I'd try a cycle while waiting if your ob will help you. Anything is better than spinning your wheels in waiting land.

Also, Aunt Flo is done with me, so I told her to go visit you but she is a difficult (and nasty) woman, but I did my best.

Dora said...

Sounds like a plan.

I would also call the RE's office and ask if they have a cancellation list. If they don't, call once or twice a week to ask if there have been any cancellations.

Anonymous said...

Yay for a new RE! Hope the first meeting is great. Just a caution about the Clomid, though, I believe (I might be crazy wrong, though, since I read the theory on a website...) that Clomid exacerbated my endometriosis, so taking it without the supervision of an RE is not without risk. Be careful, but I hope it works! :)